Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Tiring day

I don't even know what I've done to be so tired. I worked in the office all day (slipped out for a few minutes to pick up lunch and ate at the desk). Maybe that's why. I worked on stuff for the contemporary service all day, seems like, but now that's mostly done and I can do other stuff on Friday...whatever that may be. At least there will be a new Friday Five.
So after getting excited about the Good Samaritan passage, I let Eric figure out that he needed to let me preach Sunday night, so now I can play with it. So far I'm sticking with the "Won't you be my neighbor?" idea...but stop & smell the roses wants to get in there too. And then there's Sunday School...I'm speaking to a class on the UMC, past, present, and future. I think I'm going to make a few introductory remarks and then take questions. The issue is that this particluar class has already talked to Eric at length about the two topics I think they want to talk to me about: homosexuality and clergywomen. I have told the teacher that these two subjects are off the table, and I will reiterate that to the class.
What I really want to convey to them is that our UM heritage gives us both the freedom and the tools to explore scripture and theology, while giving us the framework to stay within the bounds of orthodoxy. I think there's plenty of room for conversation and even for disagreement as long as we can be civil and Christian to one another. It'll be an interesting conversation, at any rate.

1 comment:

  1. I really would like to know how this class meeting unfolded... if they respected your "off the table" topics, in particular.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.