Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Trying not to overdo

Well, I was trying. It's a shame I like my job so much.
Saturday was okay...I stayed on the couch and slept, mostly. I tried to stay off the painkiller, and did okay most of the day. I knew Sunday would be a long day, and I really wanted to be able to be there the whole time. The whole time being Sunrise service at 6:30 am, both morning worship services, and preaching the evening service at 7 pm.
Well, any reasonable person would have known that this was a pretty ambitious plan, but I felt pretty good Sunday. Ben had to help me dress (he's gotten pretty good as a ladies' dresser in the last 10 days) and so I was ready early. I did fine during the Sunrise service, but I had to leave the early service, and then I made it fine during the 11 am service (with the help of the painkiller I took when I left the other service). I didn't have a lot of pain as long as I kept moving, so I went and visited the hospital before coming back for the evening service.
Somewhere in there was my big mistake. I felt pretty good the whole time, and even until I went to bed Sunday night I felt fine. Monday morning, though, was a whole other ballgame...lots of stiffness and pain. Felt like I was back to Thursday or Friday, which was not good.
I went to work today in the morning and kept a pretty regular morning schedule--taught Bible study and all, but came home and rested in the afternoon and then went back for the Communion service. I did go out to dinner with Ben to a local place, but I had to leave a little earlier than he did.
I am proud of me for coming home today, but it's hard. I have been out of the office so long...and out of the loop, too. I can't just sit at the desk for hours, at least not right now. I've got about an hour in me, and then I've got to move around some. I know that it will get better, but I've got so much to do, so much backed up, and it all feels important. Some things I've just had to let go of; I wanted to be on the leadership team for Summer Breakaway (youth camp in June) but I just couldn't get the application done with everything else going on, so I've had to let that go. I tend to be fairly driven, and I am not patient with myself, and I'm frustrated, but I'm trying. Better to take it easy the next few weeks than be in pain for months, I guess. But it's not natural for me to rest--it's more natural to me to push.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.