Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

To be a child at Christmas


It is good to be children sometimes, and never better than at Christmas when its mighty Founder was a child Himself.            ~Charles Dickens
I have always loved this time of year.
I love Christmas songs and listening to them on the radio. I love baking for Christmas: in any given year, I make treats for the choir, the children, the office, and to give to friends and family. I love selecting Christmas gifts, the bright colors of wrapping paper, and the mystery of unwrapping gifts. I don’t decorate a lot, but I love to see what others have done with trees and lights and excitement.
I am a child at heart, and never more so than at Christmas time. But every year, there is a challenge to my child-like joy: there’s so much to do! I’ve already been to one Christmas party. This weekend I will celebrate an early Christmas with my mother, who will be in town to help me play hostess as we open our home to members of Ben’s churches. It is so easy to get lost in the busyness of Christmas and forget the childlike glee, but Christmas is a time for us to remember the child inside each of us, to awaken hope and delight, to be charitable and cheerful with others, and to remember that holy Child who entered the world 2000 years ago and changed everything.
Wishing you a child-like Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.