Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Friday Five: The Perfect Blendship

From Songbird at the RevGals:
If you're ever in a jam, here I am.
If you're ever in a mess, S.O.S.
If you're so happy, you land in jail. I'm your bail.
It's friendship, friendship, just a perfect blendship.
When other friendships are soon forgot, ours will still be hot.


I'm thinking a lot about friends these days, the ones who rush to you in times of trouble, with a casserole or a socket wrench or an invitation for coffee or lunch or a trip to the foot sanctuary. We meet friends in school or on the playground or at church or in the workplace and even on the Internet. Even as blogging has experienced some decline, the community here has been strong.

For today's Friday Five, some questions about friendship.
1) Who is the first friend you remember from childhood?
My dog Pogo. I'm not actually sure I remember Pogo myself, but we have some pictures and my parents have told me about him--so I don't know if what I remember is mine or something my brain cooked up from the pictures and stories.
2) Have you ever received an unexpected gift from a friend?
Many times. One of the best was a plane tickets to come see her!
3) Is there an old friend you wish you could find again? Or have you found one via social media or the Internet?
I've enjoyed Facebook. I'm not good at keeping in touch, period, but FB makes it easier. It's been fun a couple of times realizing that the person sending a friend request is a blog friend I may not have ever met in person, or met when I didn't know who I was meeting.
4) Do you like to get your good friends together in a group, or do you prefer your friends one on one?
I like it when my friends get along, but I like one on one time, too. The life of pastors being what it is, much of my friend time anymore is an exercise in self-care: either having someone safe to talk to, or doing something fun as a break, or getting a little pampering when I can spare an hour or two.
5) Does the idea of Jesus as a friend resonate with you?
Yes, it does, although I also find it limiting sometimes. Recently heard NT Wright on Jesus as the King of the Kingdom of God, and I realized how much I need Jesus to be powerful too.

2 comments:

  1. Friends are my lifeline in terms of self-care. And yes, pets...great friends as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is one gift I will never forget. The gift of a purple dress. It came with no name just a card sharing the excitement over my call into ministry. Each time I wear it, I thank God for friends.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.