Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

f5: When the storms of life are raging...

Via Martha at RevGalBlogPals
I'm listening this morning for word of Hurricane Earl. Is he coming to visit, or will he bypass my part of Maine and move further Downeast, or veer toward Nova Scotia? Should I buy those bottles of water, just in case wind brings branches and power lines down? And how many times will the tracking map change today?

Herewith, a Friday Five about the storms of life:

1) What's the most common kind of storm in your neck of the woods?
Garden variety storms, I suppose, but we have just had our own brush with Earl. You are in my prayers, Martha, but I'm praying your time with Earl is as boring as ours.
2) When was the last time you dealt with a significant power outage?
It's been a long time. Hurricane Isabel, I think, in which the power was out for 5 days and my sister got married two days after the storm came through. We called that one some not-nice names.
3) Are you prepared for the next one?
I am now...we laid in water and batteries (first time in years I've bought D-cell batteries early enough) and some snacks, and a little extra dog food because a neighbor mentioned that he wasn't sure he had enough. The perishables will be eaten and replaced for the next one, and in the meantime, we're stocked.
4) What's the weather forecast where you are this weekend?
Beautiful, as it generally is post-hurricane. Warm, sunny, and clear. I got a laugh this morning at my Star Wars forecast: last night was Dagobah, wet and hot with a chance of Yoda lurking somewhere. Today it's more like Tatooine, hot and dry with a chance of sarlacc (the scary sand-worm things). So there you go.
5) How do you calm your personal storms?
Two ways: quiet and stimulation. Sometimes I need to be still and quiet and to read or concentrate on a project. Other times I need to re-energize by being around people, like the good little extrovert I am.

4 comments:

  1. i'm loving your Eureka !
    definitely foundational in storm time !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star Wars Forecast: That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, a combination of quiet and stimulation also work for me in a storm. It's not the energy that I need from being around people--it's the distraction from my own world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like it will be! Thank you for the kind thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.