Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Home again, home again

So here are a few of our adventures:
seeing wild turkeys and flying squirrels and a beautiful buck (deer) within feet of the home we stayed in...
going to the Lees-McRae College Wildlife Rehab center to see all kinds of animals needing care, including a possum that was raised as a pet (giant rat, cuter than I thought, and soft!), an owl with one wing who nibbled on Ben's finger and put her toys away very precisely, a partial albino red-winged hawk (so pretty), a turtle named tripod, a peregrine falcon, a variety of songbirds, and a student catching mice who had escaped from a shipment meant for feeding the animals, and made a home some of the enclosures. So far 4 of the mice they'd caught were pregnant...which I suspect means a winter of catching mice. If the pictures come out at all, doubtful since I used neither flash nor tripod, I'll try to post some...
many hours spent at Mountain Grounds, our second home of the trip...they were our source both for internet access and for Ben to watch football. Their hospitality was amazing. Thanks, Dale, Michael, Ally, and Jessica, and all the rest of the crew!...
visited the Penland Craft School. I'm dying to go back and take a class on bookmaking or printmaking or maybe glass...or all of them...
rested in a wonderful hospitable home, with a comfy bed and everything we could need...
cooked great meals, and ate great meals out...
had a really nice, relaxing time together...
took naps on the loveseat with a thick fleeceblanket. Who knew that would be the most comfortable way to sleep? My back loved it!...
held a mouse funeral...
finished the first chapter of my dissertation (two days after the chapter 2 deadline, but I finished!!!)...
missed my puppy...
celebrated Ben's birthday...

Guess it was pretty busy for a vacay, huh? But a good time was had by all.
All except for Lamont the mouse, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great vacation. Love the idea of an owl with toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beauty of a trip i'd say! welcome home! congrats on the writing... may you continue to be inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.