Pages

Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday the 13th F5

Sophia shares this Friday Five at the Revgals:
The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia, a word derived from the concatenation of the Greek words Paraskeví (Παρασκευή) (meaning Friday), and dekatreís (δεκατρείς) (meaning thirteen), attached to phobía (φοβία) (meaning fear). The term triskaidekaphobia derives from the Greek words "tris", meaning 'three', "kai", meaning 'and', and "deka", meaning 'ten'. the whole word means three and ten. The word was derived in 1911 and first appeared in a mainstream source in 1953. (Wikipedia)


With thanks to my dear spouse TechnoGuy for the great suggestion, it's a Friday the 13th Friday Five!


1. How is this Friday the 13th looking for you?
Pretty good so far. I'm in the coffee shop, keeping "office hours" and drinking coffee. It's a good life. I've never had a bad Friday the 13th, but then again, I'm selective about my superstitions.

2. Have you ever had anything unlucky happen on Friday the 13th?
Not that I can remember, so I'm guessing, no.

3. Did your family of origin embrace or scorn superstitions?
Not too much...we pretty much like the fun ones and dismiss the negative ones. Black cats crossing my path and walking under ladders is not a problem, but when I worked in bookstores I used to get comments about the ladder thing...

4. Are there any unique or amusing ones from your family, region, or ethnic background?
I don't think so...I'm just boring that way. I can't even think of any of the lighter superstitions we play at right now.

5. Do you love or hate horror movies like "Friday the 13th"?
I used to love them, but sometime between graduating from high school and college I became less comfortable with them. The last outright horror movie we saw was "Ghost Ship" and it pretty well scared the daylights out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.