Pages

Friday, June 5, 2009

Friday Five Moving and Changing

There's a lot going on in Sally's life. Here's her post from the RevGals website:
The theme of change is dominating my thinking at the moment, this morning my husband Tim has headed off for an interview in Sheffield. The West Sheffield Methodist Circuit are looking for an Evangelism/ Mission Enabler, in may ways this would be Tim's ideal job, but we wait on God... ( if you can spare a prayer today we'd be grateful)

...Sheffield is a commutable distance from my new post as Minister in Sherburn-in Elmet and some of the surrounding villages, before Tim gets home I will have left to join the Leadership team there for an away day on Saturday, I'll be staying the night with the current Minister in Sherburn to talk over some of the practicalities of the post.

ALL IS CHANGE.... and although I am looking forward to it, it is not without a sense of trepidation, as change always brings challenges.

Changing location also means packing, so next month will be a month of clearing and sorting, deciding what comes and what gets left behind...

So with change in mind I offer you this Friday five; ( if you've never moved here's a chance to use your imagination)



1. A big move is looming, name one thing that you could not possibly part with, it must be packed ?
My furniture. I could give up a lot, but not my bed or my chair. Mine!

2. Name one thing that you would gladly leave behind...
The lousy plumbing in my rental house (yet we've signed a lease for another year) and high water bills. I know someone's got to pay for the sewer work, I just wish it didn't have to be me.

3. How do you prepare for a move
a. practically?
Give away or throw away a lot, and buy lots of boxes and markers. I mark every box clearly as to what room it goes into. I also pack a box of essentials: sheets, towels, toiletries, paper plates and towels, etc. and also a suitccase with clothes for a few days, just to give us a little extra time to find things. The essentials box and the suitcase stay with me--they don't go in the moving truck.

b. spiritually/ emotionally?
I try to do every fun thing I can as a break, which is difficult. And I spend some time in prayer for both the church I'm leaving and the one I'm going to. I also spend time with shut-in church members and tell them what I can about the new pastor--this schools me in my feelings/responses about the move, and cares for them pastorally.

4. What is the first thing you look for in a new place?
The grocery store and a new veterinarian.

5. Do you settle in easily, or does it take time for you to find your feet in a new location?
It takes a little while, but settling in is not too bad. Because we're both pastors, we have to hit the ground running...

The bonus for today; a new opportunity has come up for you to spend 5 years in a new area, where would you go and why?
A couple miles down the road to start a satellite ministry, maybe--I don't want to leave here! But we'd both like to be in the country again.

1 comment:

  1. Rental houses always seem to have problems, as I ponder my long-distance rental of my parents' home in WA State as I live in TX. My daughter in Seattle is always telling me of their rental problems.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.