Some things to remember about myself:
1) I am not one to exercise much. Exertion leads to muscle soreness. While Saturday's trip didn't really leave me sore, yesterday's sure did: arms, back, legs.
2) Just because I think I can do anything doesn't mean I can. (This has particular implications for kayaking. It's one thing to borrow a kayak. It's something else to get it from where it lives to where I want to use it using only my Camry and some bungee cords. Did I mention it was a bit breezy?)
3) The plan to try several different kayaks is a really good one. Yesterday's borrowed kayak is categorically not the right one for me. It wasn't comfortable for me to sit in, didn't have back support like the one I used Saturday, and since the day was breezy, we sort of had a perfect storm of why-this-isn't-right for me.
4) Persistence is a good thing. If I had had yesterday's experience Saturday, I'd probably never go again. But as it is, I'm thinking of renting a kayak tomorrow if I can find someone to go out with.
5) All kayaks are not created equal, and neither are all bodies. This is connected to #3, if you're counting. I have arthritis in my ankles and hips (and I'm pretty sure in my right foot; that's part of Monday's doctor visit) and two bulging disks in my back (hence the chronic pain/sleeping issues). This doesn't keep me from doing much I want to do. It does keep me from doing things I don't want to do sometimes, but that's just kind of how it works out--I'm just sayin'. So it's going to be really important I find one & outfit it for me. Otherwise, there will be pain. And embarrassing not-quite-finishing-the-trip incidents.
So here's what I need to remember today. And I need to borrow a friend's truck to return the borrowed boat. That's a whole 'nother story, and I will tell it some time. For now, let's just say that I couldn't quite finish the trip--I was in enough discomfort that I got out of the boat (shallow water round here, though I would have swum it in if I had to) and beached it a little short of the take-out spot. But it's all good. I'm still ready to go again. Anybody in the area who wants to go out, let me know!