Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2007

An interview with DogBlogger

One of my frequent reads is the blog of Cub,
"The Best Dog Ever".


While I haven't told Cletus the name of the blog, he's been jealous that some dogs have their own blogs, courtesy of their thumb-havers. This week, Cub was interviewed by Rowan, and asked for volunteers. We're it.
I'm first:

1. You're part of a clergy couple... what is your favorite thing and least favorite thing about you and your husband having the same vocation? (Yes, I know, big question coming from a dog, but I do have an intellectual side.)
I like having someone to talk to who really understands what I do all week, and why I keep such long hours, and why sometimes when the phone rings, I've just got to go. That's both my favorite and least favorite thing about being in a clergy couple, because sometimes I just want to talk about something else. As helpful as it is to have someone who knows my work/calling so well, sometimes we're at a loss for other sources of conversation. It's sort of a process; 7 1/2 years into this marriage thing (and both already pastors when we married), we're still developing habits and routines that help us both debrief and destress from our respective churches and then change the subject for some "us" time.

2. How did Cletus the WonderMutt come to live with you?
Ben (the aforementioned clergy spouse) had dogs growing up, and don't tell the spooky Boo cat, but he really missed them. I did not want to add another pet to the family (spooky Boo and Otis the beautiful, of blessed memory), but nevertheless we started making visits to the local SPCA. After several weeks of visits, Ben noticed this silly-looking dog roaming around the enclosure wagging his tail and growling at the other dogs. After a little time with him, I was hooked too. As Ben said, "We have a home and we need a dog. He is a dog and he needs a home." We did, and we do.

3. Have you ever had a blogger meetup? If yes, how was it? If no, what would you like a meetup to be like?
I have not, but I'm starting to think it could be really fun. I read several blogs written by humans as well as animals, and one day maybe a bunch of us could meet somewhere...a coffee shop next to a dog park, maybe? We could bring cat cookies, too, or my latest failed crochet project for the cats to unravel.

4. I have one costume, Ace the Bat-Hound, to go with The Alpha's Batman. The Typist says I'm not getting any more costumes. (I'm kind of relieved by that.) Have you ever dressed Cletus up in a costume? Why or why not?
Cletus has worn the occasional bandanna, which he seems to enjoy, but we've never tried any other costumes. He's really not much for wearing anything but his everyday leather collar (he's tough, you know) and his outside collar and his walking collar. He was about two when we got him, and sometimes he really doesn't like us to mess with him, especially around his head. Ben would like to put him in a Harley helmet one day, just for fun. Or an Elvis jumpsuit. I'm with the Typist...no more costumes.

5. It's getting to be the St. Francis Day time of year. Do you ever do Blessing of the Animals?
Does casting demons out of the spooky Boo cat count?
I haven't, but someday I want to. Most of the places I've lived since I've been a pastor have been in farming communities, and so we have sort of prayed at a distance for the livestock, and they did not invite the cats and dogs into their homes so much. And now I work with another pastor...I'll have to ask him what he thinks.


Now it's Cletus' turn. I'll be taking dictation:

1. "Paraclete Duke" -- how did your ever-so-stately name come to be?
Well, the thumbhavers were recently graduated from Duke Divinity School, and so they call it their "pretentious seminary joke," whatever that means. Sometimes they say my nickname is Cletus because I'm the least redneck-looking dog they know. Sometimes they say it's because I'm tough.
It's true; I am.

2. How much do you weigh? I can't tell how big you are from your picture.
Size can be deceiving; the scale at the puppy spa (you know, where I go spend the night sometimes and get treats and tummy rubs from nice people) says I weigh about 25 pounds. My thumbhavers tell me I'm a great big dog, but I can just barely fit into a lap when I want to.

3. I hear you live with a cat. I sometimes wonder how I live with The Boy, who is also a dog... cats are only long-distance blog-friends for me. How on earth do you live with a cat?
It's not easy. When I came to live with Mom and Dad (that's what I call my thumbhavers; it seems to please them), there were two cats, and it was so much fun to chase them, but it really upset Mom and Dad. Otis, the BIG cat, and I got along pretty well. We liked to sit together in the recliner with Mom. The spooky Boo cat mostly stays out of my way, but sometimes she really fusses at me when she wants to be close to Dad...she calls him Daddy. And she's loud. I don't believe she likes me, but it's been almost 7 years, and we've reached a kind of stalemate, which works for me.

4. What is one secret of a blissful life that you'd like to share with your thumb-havers?
They should play outside more. I get to spend all day almost every day outside. They should come outside and play with me more, but even if they just got out and stretched and had a good roll in the grass, I think they could be a lot happier.

5. Bandannas: yes or no? Explain your answer.
I like 'em okay, especially when I've had a bath and I'm looking good. But they get dirty awful quick when I'm hunting frogs and lizards and mice and moles and such, so I don't wear one very often.


Want to be interviewed yourself? Here's how:
1. If you are interested in being interviewed, leave a comment on my blog saying, 'interview me.'
2. I will respond by posting five questions for you. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with a post with your answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Now you're it!

1 comment:

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.