Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Technology...hmpfh!

Well, I had my first online interaction of the DMin program today...a "net meeting", complete with dicey internet connections (I had to go back to the hard-wire one) and malfunctioning cameras. My connection was generally okay; I did drop out a couple of times but I don't think there's anything else I could do. I am a little frustrated with some other communication problems but at least I had my chance to ask questions, and even to help others figure out stuff (I had just learned it myself, so it was fresh).
Ben's starting to get interested in his blog, which is much more random than this one. It's been fun working on it with/for him, but I am hopeful he'll learn how to do it himself. I did learn how to embed video, though, which may prove to be useful. We've been talking about expanding the church's website, and I'm interested to know what we might be able to do there.

Just for fun, here's the latest newsletter article.

Ponderous Thoughts


“Life goes by pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it.” --Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

As you can see, it’s movie quote day for me. Maybe it’s because I got away for a little while this past weekend. Ben and I went to Charlotte to see the football game with some friends and had a great time.
Usually I’m pretty much a homebody. I come to church, go out to eat with Ben if I’m lucky, go home and read a book and sleep until it’s time to start over again. Generally that makes me happy. Every once in a while I’ll go see my parents or my niece, the incomparable Jamie.
But every now and then, I do something that totally shakes up my routine. The trip to Charlotte was one of those things. Although I’d been saying for a while I’d like to take Ben to an NFL game, I hadn’t really done much about it. It’s hard for me and Ben to find time off together, and hard to make football a priority when we both have sick family to visit. When this trip came together, it reminded me of how good it is for us to play, to break out of our usual habits, to go have fun.
The line above is one I’ve never forgotten, because I think it applies to how we think about God in our lives. If we keep our heads down and just slog through our everyday stuff, we ignore God’s capacity to surprise us, and to be bigger and better than we think. As much as I love my routine, it’s good for me to get out of it every now and again, to see God in a new light. Hope you get a chance to do that soon!
Grace and peace,
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.