Pages

Monday, January 22, 2007

Thoughts for Today

On the Church and homosexuality issue, Bishop Al Gwinn (NC Conference) today pointed out that we will spend too much time at this year's annual conference meeting debating the UMC's position on homosexuality when we all already know that no one on either side is going to change their mind. Smart man. How about that moratorium I suggested in an earlier post? Seriously, it would be nice to feel like conference was a productive meeting rather than a forum for endless unproductive debate.

Second item: this came to me via email tonight:

Talking Pet
A single guy decides life would be more fun if he had a pet. So he went to the pet store one Saturday and told the clerk that he wanted to buy an unusual pet. After considering numerous options, he finally bought a talking centipede, which came in a little white box. He took the box with his new pet home, found a good spot for the box, and decided he would start off by taking his new pet to church with him the next day.
Sunday morning, he asked the centipede in the box, "Would you like to go to church with me today? We will have a good time." But there was no answer from his new pet. This bothered him a bit, since he was assured by the pet store that the centipede would talk once he got it home and it was comfortable with its surroundings. He waited a few minutes and then asked again, "How about going to church with me and receive blessings?" But again, there was no answer from his new friend and pet. So he waited a few minutes more, contemplating the situation. He decided to ask it one more time, this time putting his face up against the centipede's box and shouting, "Hey, in there! Would you like to go to church with me and learn about the Lord!?"
A little voice came out of the box: "I heard you the first time! I'm putting on my shoes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.