Thursday, June 23, 2011

What almost killed my blog

All 3 of my readers (if you're still out there, and yes, I'm being sarcastic, but I really do love you all) will have noticed by now that something almost killed my blog, even more effectively than the unbloggable summer a couple of years ago.
I think I know what caused a good part of my difficulty, setting aside my propensity to overdo things. It's as simple as this: gallstones. Many in general, and specifically, one the size of a small chicken's egg. According to the surgeon, I have bragging rights over almost anyone else. Also, the surgeon and I agree that it's a shame the hospital wouldn't let me keep at least the big stone...pathology, infection control, blah, blah, blah.
I truly had no idea I was sick at the time. I didn't have classic gall bladder attacks, which usually involved making one lie on the floor in so much pain it's hard to breathe. I didn't have any unexplainable symptoms at all, in fact. And so I never mentioned to any of my doctors that I was getting little 24-hour stomach flu bugs more often than normal (so was everyone else) or that I was having much more indigestion and heartburn than in the past. I did mention the increase in back pain, and we sagely agreed that my spine is a mess and arthritis is what it is, and I took more pain medication this winter and spring...which seemed to explain the indigestion and heartburn, so I took more meds for that. And we all thought it was just a rough winter, with a little undertone of "this doesn't really bode well for the future" and left it at that, because, really, who wants to explore that cheerful thought any further? And after you've felt badly for a while, you forget about it because it becomes the new normal.
However, one week I had a bout of nausea with brutal heartburn that kept me up for several hours one night--and I had a checkup with one of my doctors who asked, as usual, how I was doing. And for once, I didn't say, "Fine," and brush it all under the rug. Instead, I explained about the rough night I'd had, and she asked a question or two, and then asked if I still had my gall bladder...within 12 days, I was having that thing removed.
That was over a month ago, and I know a couple of things. One is that I still can't eat just anything I want. I'm having a hard time transitioning back to the high-fiber diet I had been accustomed to, partly because I fell out of the habit when I was trying to control the indigestion, and partly because I'd forgotten how very yummy white bread and mashed potatoes and white rice and pasta are. The other is that I still don't know for sure how long I was sick and how sick I was--but I feel worlds better than I did. I am still not 100% but I feel better now than I have felt in many, many months.
So maybe I'm back to blogging. Certainly this week looks pretty good. Still not certain about new directions or whatever, but I'm glad to be back.
Thanks for sticking with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.