Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Friday Five: Connections

From Jan over at the RevGals site
I am currently reading Bowling Alone by Robert D. Putnam, where he explores the changes in community in the USA in the 20th Century. He explains how communities, people, and especially children function better when they live where there is high social capital. Basically, it means that "relationships matter."

We all know this because Christianity (and other religions) emphasize the Golden Rule:
All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you,
do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.
Matthew 7:1

So here are some questions to ponder for this Friday Five about connecting with:

1. Self: Who was your hero/heroine when you were about ten years old?
Probably my mom. She was raising me and my sister on her own, and I thought she was amazing. Still do.
2. Family: Who are you most like? Who is most like you?
Oddly, my sister and I are different, but both a mix of our parents. I think I am more like Dad in my creative drive to do/know lots of different stuff. I think I am like my mom in my practicality. I don't know who is most like me...
3. Friends: How do you stay in touch?
Facebook, as much as anything else. Skype. Blogging. Email. Texting. I miss hand-writing letters, but I'm too impatient to spend the time writing and waiting for them to be delivered and answered.
4. Neighborhood, community: What are ways you like to be involved?
I just finished a pottery class; I loved that. I hang out in one or another of our local coffee shops as much as I can. I help with some local community ministries, and I like to help put events together.
5. Job/church: Do you see a need that will help in developing connections?
I'm excited that I've begun to write for our conference's Faith and Technology blog. Any way we can connect to one another is helpful. I've been thinking for a couple of years about how to create online "front porches" for people to gather, and how to integrate those front porches into the life of a community/congregation.
Bonus: A link or anything else about connecting.
Read Joe Myers "The Search to Belong" and "Organic Community" about creating connections in communities, specifically churches.

4 comments:

  1. I love the front porch idea. I've thought for a long time that if church buildings had porches (rather than edifices) people might feel invited to come hang out! Thanks for the Joe Myers recommendation. I'll put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of "Online Front Porches!" awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool idea about online porches. I think your description of what blocks you from writing letters is what stops most of us. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.