Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

Fortune Cookies and train travel

are sources of both wisdom and laughs.
But not these two.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only light can do that."
"Let your hook be cast. In the pool where you least expect it will be fish."
Seriously.
First there's the punctuation and scansion...the phrasing's always a bit awkward.
Secondly, there's the cheese factor: these two are particularly cheesy examples, to me. The first is an inane attempt at profundity, and the second is optimistic to the point of absurdity.
Thirdly, I still in the back of my head read fortunes the way we did in college...tacking in the phrase "in bed" at the end. Usually it redeems even the worst fortune cookie saying, and you can at last get a good laugh out of it. Even that doesn't fix these two.

On to the subject of train travel: that's what I did today. I woke up (several times, actually) in the noisiest motel in the world and went to the train station and rode from Rocky Mount NC to Union Station in Washington DC, where I then rode on two different subway trains to get to where my sister picked me up. I didn't get lost anywhere--no small feat for me--and I've spent the afternoon and evening with my sister's family.
I'm presently washing baby clothes so we can get the baby's room squared away. There's also Exceptional One's birthday party to do on Saturday, with treat bags to pack up and some other things to pick up. I'm glad to be here...the kiddo is the cutest ever, and my sister's house is generally a pretty easy place to be. They're relaxed hosts and I'm just here to help out, anyway. So I'm looking forward to a good time. And cuteness, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.