Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Rounding out the year

I looked at the goals I had set for myself for this past year, and I did okay. I don't feel bad about the ones I didn't keep well, and generally I think I get a 'B'.
Lots of folks are doing year-end round-ups, and I don't want to go back and read through a bunch of old posts (but feel free).
Instead, here's what I'm proud of:
I've survived, and fairly well, the first 3 semesters of my doctoral work. I have a project planned for this spring that has potential for doing some real good in the church. And I have some new, great friends in my DMin cohort (we're calling it a cabal).
We're still here. My grandmother and uncle died, my back's still not my friend, Ben's had some real problems with pain, but we're still here. The house may not be as clean as I'd like it to be, and we've eaten out rather more than I prefer, but we're okay. Financially, we're better off than we have been, despite a very dificult few months--which is to say, it's not as bad as it could be. A windfall here and there and years of trying to be careful (and not eat out so much--FAIL!) are starting to really pay off. One resolution for this year: no more debt, apart from student loans.
I've developed old hobbies, including photography, and picked up new ones, like kayaking. They make me feel good about myself and what I can do, and feed my creative drive.
I keep learning new things, whether it's adding an audio track to a powerpoint presentation for church or a new cooking technique.
I keep writing, even if it's very little. For the year ahead, I'm going to continue with Friday Fives and Poetry Parties. They're fun. And while at some point, I think I've got a book or two in me, I'm not ready to deal with that just yet. Dissertation first!
I have great friends. I have great friends who are clergy. I have great friends who are not. I have friends on both coasts and various places in between, and one in Europe. I have friends I've never met in person. I've reconnected this year, thanks to Facebook, with long-lost friends from high school and college. I'm very proud of that.
And so I'm not making New Year's resolutions. I'm not going to rest on my laurels, such as they are, either. But this past year I set some good goals that were pretty open-ended, and so I'm going to keep up with those. And this time next year, I'll have more to be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.