Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

A smoky Annual Conference


If you don't already know, there's a massive wildfire burning in NC. As of right now, it's the largest wildfire in the country. It's burning in a wildlife preservation area in the eastern part of the state, but the smoke is spreading--to Chesapeake and even Richmond, VA earlier in the week, and now that the winds have shifted, past Greenville to Raleigh NC today.
Which means there's smoke in the air in the convention center, and in my room at ECU. It smells just like wood smoke (go figure).
While no one has been killed and there has not been significant private property damage (due to the rural nature of the area where the fire occurred), it's just a matter of time. It's been hard to control the fire, as it's burning both in dense layers of organic material on the forest floot, and also has penetrated to the peat layer below the surface--where it might burn for years. Part of the challenge is controlling flare-ups, where a sub-surface burn breaks through somewhere away from the main fire.
And then there are other observations on Annual Conference. Which I'm not making. I remember what Peter Rabbit's mama told him.
Nothin' at all.
I'm just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. oh my... be safe. be sane. i hope both of those are possible...

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.