Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

My final project for my Virtual Faith class

Virtual faith is among other things a way of engaging in relationship with God and one another that is characterized by the numinous, the impossible-to-quantify endless potential that exists in our relationship with God. We experience our relationship with God virtually in many ways: today we had an excellent presentation on the Cross and celebrated communion that made such great sense of it.
As I was thinking about my final project for this class, I thiought about the Natasha Bedingford song, "Unwritten", which I have blogged about before.
So for my final project, I chose to explore two areas of virtuality: art is inherently virtual because it's meaning comes in the interaction of each individual with it. I have a different understanding, for example, of a Rothko painting than anyone else, because of the unique set of experiences and thoughts I bring to it. Also, I was intrigued by the notion of ephemera. Paper in art is considered emphemeral, impermanent, because it can be so fragile. Pencil is easily smudged and erased...and rewritted. And so I dug out my watercolors and made a painting, which I then folded into a book, into which I wrote the words to "Unwritten".
What I am trying to convey here is that virtuality is not contingent on the use fo technology. It's easy for us to call anything online or in a powerpoint presentation virtual, but that misses the point: it's not only about the ease of changing digital media (which does dramatically increase virtuality), but virtuality has always existed in that we are each unique and capable of unique relationships with people and things. Not only that, but in a sense, we are each an unwritten or partially written book, being written over in relationship with God and one another. What has gone before is a part of our story, but the rest is still unwritten...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.