Pages

Monday, May 5, 2008

Thought for the day...

I've been crafting tonight, and I worked on 2 different kinds of book as a birthday gift for my sister. As I was looking for quotes to embellish one of them, I came across this by Pearl S. Buck:
I love people. I love my family, my children . . . but inside myself is a place where I live all alone and that's where you renew your springs that never dry up.

I'm still trying to decide how I feel about it. Part of me shouts an exuberant YES, and that certainly resonates with the part of me that's exploring my own creativity. I've got projects again, after several years of putting them off, and I'm learning to own them as an important part of who I am rather than seeing those desires as an imposition on my time. And they are mostly a solitary pursuit, which I am finding strangely fulfilling.
On the other hand, how sad that she couldn't find renewal in company. As an extrovert, I definitely get energy from being with others. And while I have certainly had epiphanies and spiritual moments in private, I find that it helps me to find "Jesus with skin on" from time to time to mediate between the chaos in my head and the voice of the Spirit.
I may have to sleep on this...

3 comments:

  1. "place where I live all alone" that phase I disagree with. The place that is in all of us, I believe in God so when I'm in that place, I'm not alone--God is there. Been doing centering prayer for about 5 years now on a fairly regular basis and there have been those times when in the silence I touch God and s/he touches me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think that's really the problem I have. Our faith is all about our relationship with God, and there's definitely something to be said to clearing away the clutter and focussing on "me & God" but she had no God there. That's part of what makes me so sas in reading it. There's solitude as a discipline of making interior room for Christ, but it's never really solitary.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.