Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Irresistible attraction and segmented fruit

We've bought a recliner, because the wonderful overstuffed and squishy deep sofa I inherited from Mom was not helping my aching back. I have learned something important about this recliner: I am irresistibly attracted to it. I have been in it most of the day, certainly most of the last 6 hours. I have had not one, but two brief naps in it today. I get a little irritated when I come back to it and find the cat trying to usurp my chair. And oh, did the first little stain/spot create a problem. Fortunately, we bought the "protection plan" which we are led to believe will allow us to have the chair repaired if needed within 5 years. With a dog and a cat, both of whom are lap babies (but never simultaneously), I think it is inevitable that my beautiful dark wine colored chair will wind up scratched, stained and battered in that time.
I'm sure there's some spiritual significance in this, but apart from the too-easy "sloth demon" (we're close), I can't think of anything. I am, however, intrigued by the notion of division in the church as being like the segments of an orange.
As a disclaimer, I have to say that I really did not want to do a word-associated thingy for the Friday 5. I don't generally enjoy those, and I sulked most of the morning until I finally gave in and gave it a shot. Lo and behold, I came up with one of those little gems that make me happy. If that makes no sense to you, read yesterday's post.

Sometime soon I'm going to have to flesh it out a little. I have a project this fall for my postmodern ecclesiology class, and maybe I can use the idea in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.