Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Newsletter Article

This week's missive in the church newsletter:

Ponderous Thoughts

“I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world.” --Mother Theresa

I’ve never wanted to be a pencil. There was a brief phase around my third year when I thought I might like to be a ham and cheese sandwich, but “pencil” as a life goal has never crossed my mind. Still, Mother Theresa had a point. Who do we want to guide our lives? I’ve already proved (at least to my own satisfaction) that I can’t do it alone; I want God to be the guiding hand that writes my life’s story.
But not only do I want God to write my life’s story, I want him to use me to help reveal to our world the Kingdom of God. It’s not about me (didn’t I say something like that last week?) but about what God is doing in the world and how I can be an instrument of God’s will and work. This means that God can help me rise above my own pettiness and smallness of heart and spirit and transform me into someone who glorifies God—as a witness of God’s love to others.
Maybe this is what our mission statement here at Ann Street really means: “to know Christ and to make him known” means to submit ourselves to be God’s instrument, and communicate God’s love to the world. Everyday is a new opportunity…
Anne
2 Corinthians 2:2-3: You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to an increasing number of spam comments, I've had to resort to comment moderation. I don't plan to delete any comments that aren't spam, but be nice anyway. My family reads this blog.